- Conducting Effective Foodborne Disease Investigations
Outbreak investigations must focus on identifying the source of contamination, the situations that allowed contaminants to survive and permitted the pathogen to cause illnesses.
- Case Studies in Food Protection: Rhodia Foods
Doug Willrett of Rhodia Food discusses the growing trend toward developing antimicrobial ingredients for the food industry.
- A State Perspective on National Uniformity, Federal Oversight and the Impact of International Trade on State Programs and Food Safety
The history of food safety in the U.S. is based on the development of a virtual mishmash of laws and regulations enacted by state legislatures.
- Food Allergen Awareness: An FDA Priority
As part of the public health mission to keep food safe, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) is increasing its activity on food allergen awareness. FDA’s 2001 allergen priorities for the Center for Food Safety and Applied Nutrition (CFSAN) describe new initiatives.
- Top-Notch Nutraceuticals
One of the fastest growing product categories in the food industry is the “nutraceuticals” or “functional foods” market.
- Water Activity’s Role in Food Safety and Quality
Monitoring water activity is a Critical Control Point for many food industry operations.