IAFP Issues Call for 2014 Award Nominations
The International Association for Food Protection (IAFP) today began accepting nominations for its 2014 Association Awards. IAFP also encourages people to submit applications for the IAFP Travel Award for State or Local Health or State Agricultural Department Employees (U.S. only) and for the IAFP Travel Award for a Food Safety Professional in a Country with a Developing Economy. Students may apply for a Student Travel Scholarship. Nomination criteria and forms are available online at: www.foodprotection.org/about-us/awards/.
The awards to be presented are as follows:
- Black Pearl Award (sponsored by Wilbur Feagan and F&H Food Equipment Company) — This award is presented in recognition of a company's outstanding commitment to and achievement in corporate excellence in food safety and quality.
- Fellow Award — Presented as a marble plaque, this award honors members who have contributed to IAFP and its affiliates with distinction over an extended period of time.
- Honorary Life Membership Award — Consisting of a plaque and lifetime membership in IAFP, this award is presented to members for their dedication to the high ideals and objectives of IAFP and for their service to the association.
- Harry Haverland Citation Award (sponsored by ConAgra Foods, Inc.) — A plaque and a $2,500 honorarium will be presented to an individual for many years of dedication and devotion to the ideals and objectives of IAFP.
- Food Safety Innovation Award (sponsored by Walmart) — A plaque and a $2,500 honorarium will recognize a member or organization for creating a new idea, practice or product that has had a positive impact on food safety, thus improving public health and quality of life.
- International Leadership Award (sponsored by Cargill, Inc.) — Consisting of a plaque, a $2,000 honorarium, and reimbursement to attend IAFP 2014, this award will be presented to an individual for dedication to the high ideals and objectives of IAFP and for promotion of the mission of the association in countries outside of the United States and Canada.
- GMA Food Safety Award (sponsored by Grocery Manufacturers Association) — This award, which includes a plaque and a $2,000 honorarium, alternates between individuals and groups or organizations. In 2014, the award will be presented to a group or organization in recognition of a long history of outstanding contributions to food safety research and education.
- Frozen Food Foundation Freezing Research Award (sponsored by the Frozen Food Foundation) — A plaque and a $2,000 honorarium will be presented to an individual, group or organization for preeminence and outstanding contributions in research that impacts food safety attributes of freezing.
- Maurice Weber Laboratorian Award (sponsored by Weber Scientific) — An individual will receive a plaque and a $2,000 honorarium for outstanding contributions in the laboratory, recognizing a commitment to the development of innovative and practical analytical approaches in support of food safety.
- Larry Beuchat Young Researcher Award (sponsored by bioMérieux, Inc.) — A plaque and a $2,000 honorarium will be given to a young researcher who has shown outstanding ability and professional promise in the early years of their career.
- Sanitarian Award (sponsored by Ecolab Inc.) — Consisting of a plaque and a $1,500 honorarium, this award will be presented to an individual for dedicated and exceptional service to the profession of the sanitarian, serving the public and the food industry.
- Elmer Marth Educator Award (sponsored by Nelson-Jameson, Inc.) — A plaque and a $1,500 honorarium will go to an individual for dedicated and exceptional contributions to the profession of the educator.
- Harold Barnum Industry Award (sponsored by Roka Bioscience, Inc.) — Signified by a plaque and a $1,500 honorarium, this award will be presented to an individual for dedicated and exceptional service to IAFP, the public and the food industry.
- Travel Award for State or Local Health or State Agricultural Department Employees (sponsored by the IAFP Foundation) — This award provides travel funds for state or local health or state agricultural department employees (epidemiologists, food and molecular microbiologists, and environmental health specialists) working in the United States to attend the IAFP Annual Meeting and to encourage participation in association activities.
- Travel Award for a Food Safety Professional in a Country with a Developing Economy (sponsored by the IAFP Foundation) — This award provides travel funds for a food safety professional working full-time in the field of food safety in a country with a developing economy to attend the Annual Meeting of the International Association for Food Protection. Related professions may include positions in the fields of research, education, industry, government service or in the private sector.
- Student Travel Scholarship (sponsored by the IAFP Foundation) — This award provides travel funding for full-time students to attend the Annual Meeting (including symposia and technical sessions) of the IAFP and to encourage developing scientists to participate in association activities. Scholarships will be awarded to students enrolled in a college or university food safety-related degree program.
- Samuel J. Crumbine Consumer Protection Award — This award is presented annually for excellence and continual improvement in a comprehensive program of food protection at the local level.
You may make multiple nominations, and you need not be an IAFP Member to nominate a deserving professional or colleague or submit an application for the Travel Award to attend the IAFP Annual Meeting. IAFP Student Members are invited to submit their application for the Student Travel Scholarship award to attend the IAFP Annual Meeting. All nominations and applications must be received at the IAFP office by Tuesday, February 25, 2014.
Questions regarding award nominations submission should be directed to Susan Smith, at [email protected] or call + 1 515.276.3344 or + 1 800.369.6337.