Food Safety Magazine

News | February 4, 2014

Case Tally Now 11 in Scottish E. coli Outbreak Linked to Arena Food

Case Tally Now 11 in Scottish E. coli Outbreak Linked to Arena Food

Source: Scottish Daily Record

The number of people affected by an outbreak of E.coli linked to burgers eaten at a concert venue has increased to 11.

Investigators have linked the cases to the SSE Hydro in Glasgow, a major entertainment venue which opened in September [2013].

Last week, NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde (NHSGGC, the local office of the UK's National Health Service) said seven cases had been identified, but four more have been confirmed today.

Ten of the people with the E.coli O157 bug live in Scotland and one lives in Cumbria. All are said to be recovering at home.

A statement from NHSGGC said: "Initial investigations indicate that there is a link to the SSE Hydro, Glasgow, and an association with the consumption of burgers, but other foods items are also being considered."

Investigators are particularly looking at the three days between Jan. 17 and 19 at the Hydro, but advised anyone who visited the venue between Jan. 17 and 25 and has experienced symptoms including stomach cramps, diarrhoea, nausea and fever to contact their GP.

The shows at the complex during the period were Top Gear, Del Amitri and Celtic Connections.

One of the cases is from the NHSGGC area, three are from the NHS Lanarkshire area, four from NHS Lothian, with one each from NHS Highland, NHS Forth Valley and Cumbria.

Eleanor Anderson, consultant in public health medicine at NHSGGC, said: "We are pleased that all the cases are recovering at home.

"Investigations are ongoing and while there is no conclusive evidence, our initial investigations have indicated that there may be a link to the consumption of burgers at the SSE Hydro.

"Glasgow City Council environmental health officers are working closely with the vendors to ensure all appropriate food hygiene standards are being met."

The 12,000-seat Hydro will host gymnastics and netball in the Commonwealth Games in July.

Operators said they have been contacted by environmental health officials and are awaiting further details.

A statement said: "The initial review of our caterers' standard procedures have been found to be satisfactory and environmental health officers have seen nothing in their processes and practices which concerns them.

"We wish to assure the public that at this time we have no significant concerns in relation to catering for our patrons."