Australia / New Zealand Food Safety Agency Issues Food Recall Protocol
By Heidi Parsons
The food safety agency Food Standards Australia New Zealand (FSANZ) this month issued a Food Industry Recall Protocol, which provides information on recalling food in Australia and guidance for food businesses on developing a written food recall plan.
This Protocol helps food businesses plan for and respond to a need to recall potentially unsafe food by setting out:
- the roles and responsibilities of food businesses and government during a food recall
- the key steps in the food recall process
- the legal requirements for food businesses in relation to food recalls
- important elements of a food recall plan.
Attachments provided include:
- writing a food recall plan for your food business
- contact details for FSANZ and state/territory food enforcement agencies
- an explanation of how recalls are classified
- flow diagram to assist with deciding if food should be recalled or withdrawn
- examples of problems and suggested actions
- examples of recall notifications and press advertisements.